29905560

Hello, I have a disciplinary at work after verbally

I have a disciplinary at work after verbally abusing a supervisor,my record thus far is clean.It was only in retaliation after he verbally abused me,my question is how far can the company take this?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

How long have you worked there for?

Customer:

8 yrs

Ben Jones :

Technically the employer can take this as far as they feel it is necessary, all the way up to a dismissal. Of course that is the worst case scenario but there is nothing stopping them from doing so if they believe it is justified in the circumstances. It does not necessarily mean it will be fair but it would not prevent them from going that far. It just means that you would then have to challenge them and potentially claim for unfair dismissal if you believe that they did not follow a fair procedure or based on the facts the outcome was unreasonably harsh. Of course it could just end up in a warning, especially as you have a clean record and 8 years of good service - you have mitigating circumstances here, such as acting in retaliation and although that does not excuse your behaviour, it should somewhat reduce the seriousness of the offence and perhaps just result in a warning rather than instant dismissal

Customer:

the supervisor tells lies and is denying it.

Ben Jones :

a lot will depend on the employer's investigation - they must conduct a reasonable investigation and then base their decision on what they genuinely believe happened. If it is just your word against the other person's and there were no witnesses then the evidence could be minimal and the employer should be more cautious

Ben Jones :

Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? Thanks

Customer:

Thank you yes more than happy with your answer.

Ben Jones : You are welcome, all the best