How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69259
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I make visual art (waveforms) from sound clips such as heart

Resolved Question:

I make visual art (waveforms) from sound clips such as heart beats and spoken words and then sell them to the person who commissioned the work.

I am wanting to do the same sort of thing for quotes from films and song clips. The finished piece of art in itself is not identifiable with the original quote / clip but I would like to be able to put the film/song title on the piece of art and/or use the same information on my website to identify the different pieces of art so that the potential customer can search for specific pieces of art.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I would like to know if I am able to do the above without getting into trouble over copyright issues. I am making a visual piece of art out of an audio clip taken from a song or film sound track.


The items would be for sale

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

Provided you do not identify the original work in any way I cannot see that you breach the original person’s copyright. However that is not to say that some pop singer is not likely to see it as a breach of their intellectual property and take you to court over it.

I cannot see how they could possibly win but it would be an extremely expensive court battle. As you appreciate, nothing like this has ever been to court before and therefore you would be making new law and it would be for the court to decide. The only definitive answer I can give you is not to do this although you might want to do it until such time as someone tells you to stop.

With regard to what this would cost you if it did go to court and you lost I think it is likely to be negligible damages (although the legal costs could be high) because the original artist is not doing what you are doing and therefore has suffered no loss.

Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69259
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice