tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

We had booked and planned the wedding including organist and

We had booked and planned the wedding including organist and Bells with Rev for Bow church. The wedding march is an iconic part of the day what girls dream of when they walk down the isle.
Can I sue the Rev for not booking the organist for the wedding. We had to £900.00 to the Reverend before the wedding went ahead.
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.
tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name is***** can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

Did you ask them specifically to book the organist?

JACUSTOMER-jf2zdmbk- :

Yes and we discussed they type of music and Hymns. We choose Richard Wager the traditional wedding March

tdlawyer :

Okay. Then it sounds like they're in breach of contract for not booking as you had requested. What is their reason out of interest for having not done this?

JACUSTOMER-jf2zdmbk- :

They have not given a reason, I have wrote to the Archdeacon to ask the question or the why. He has not answered the question. He has passed the information to Bow Parochial Council to answer why the organist had not been booked. Nor has the church council. We had a previous disagreement with XXXX

tdlawyer :

Then in that case, it sounds like they would be in breach of the agreement that was made with you.

tdlawyer :

As this was a very special day and the organist personally chosen, a breach of contract in such a case is likely to result in the court being able to award damages for the disappointment and distress this has caused you.

JACUSTOMER-jf2zdmbk- :

The council have sent a cheque today for £50.00 saying sorry it will not happen again, But still no reason why there was no organist, which is not the point of the payment of £50.00 for organist, It is an iconic part of the ceremony what girls dream of. A bell ringer sourced an organist after the marriage to sing the hymns, That moment of the wedding march will never be again.

JACUSTOMER-jf2zdmbk- :

hello

tdlawyer :

Yes, I completely agree with you and understand.

tdlawyer :

Normally, in breach of contract, the court does not award damages for disappointment and distress.

tdlawyer :

however, in a case where the object is "pleasure or amenity", then the court can award damages for disappointment.

tdlawyer :

So in the circumstances, it's likely to be possible for you to be able to sue to recover damages for disappointment and distress.

tdlawyer :

Is there anything more specific (or anything else) that you would like to know about this? Do you know how to start a claim?

JACUSTOMER-jf2zdmbk- :

no I don't know how to start a claim

tdlawyer :

Okay. Then you would be best going online to do this, at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk.

tdlawyer :

You register for the online claims service with the courts and they'll give you access details. You can issue your claim there, and it's cheaper to do this way.

tdlawyer :

They do all the service of documents etc. for you too.

tdlawyer :

It's really simple. Especially if you limit your claim to £10,000, so that it remains in the small claims track.

tdlawyer :

This also means that an informal procedure will be used at court and you don't need lawyers. Also, you're not likely to be at real risk of a costs award if you lose (assuming they use lawyers to defend - which I expect might be unlikely).

tdlawyer :

Is there anything else I can help with about this? Are you happy with the service offered so far?

JACUSTOMER-jf2zdmbk- :

yes thank you.

tdlawyer :

Great - if you need anything else, just let me know, otherwise, I'm grateful for your question this evening.