12826847

The time scale allowed to bring claim against somebody for

Customer Question

The time scale allowed to bring claim against somebody for Slander/defamation/libel is a year. I wonder if a year starts from the time action of that person or from the time when my losses started.
I am a doctor somebody made false allegations against me in November 2011, and later lied under Oath in May 2013 and my name was removed from the medical register in the UK on 12 June 2013, therefore, my losses started from 12.06.2013, when a year time limit stats in my case
Please answer

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Time runs from the date of the defamation. Unfortunately there isn't really any way of dressing that up.

You can apply to extend time under S32 Limitation Act 1980 but you do need a really good reason for delay. Not knowing about the defamation might be a good example.

If the defamation was repeated in May 2013 then you are only just out of time but you are out of time sadly.

You could always sue in harassment though if there were two repetitions and then you would have six years to sue.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she gave evidence in May 2013 but the panel decision to accept her evidence and decision was on 12 June 2013

The decision to accept isnt' the date of defamation though I'm afraid.

It is unfair. Its the shortest period of limitation known to English law. But its the law.