12826847

if a will has not be registered and minot an executor who can

Customer Question

if a will has not be registered and minot an executor who can I get a copy of the will?

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Why do you want a copy of the will?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

its my mother will and there's been a lot of upset in the family

and no one will give me a copy am the oldest in the family

I’m sorry to have to tell you that even beneficiaries have no absolute right to see the will before it is admitted to probate. Once it is admitted to probate you can get a copy from the Probate Registry for the payment of £6.

Whilst I can appreciate how upsetting it is for you that this is your mother’s will and your daughter is an executor and she will not let you have a copy of it, there is no legal remedy to make her.

She gains nothing whatsoever by being secretive about this but until such time as you think that she has done something wrong, you cannot take her to court simply to let you have a copy so that you can see what is in it.

I’m sorry if this is bad news for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you but I did no all this I just fort that was some other way

thank you

You can get a solicitor to threaten an application to court for pre-action disclosure was of that does not work, it is not one that I would take to court because I do not think you would get the order and you would probably get costs awarded against you.

Sorry, but you are going to have to wait until such time as the will is admitted to probate before you can see what is in it.

Legally, the age of children has no relevance to their standing in the family provided they are all over 18