12826847

i was flashed by a speed camera on 8 may at o1:16 hrs 51 mph

i was flashed by a speed camera on 8 may at o1:16 hrs 51 mph in 40mph limit.the time of day on the camera is incorrect.at the time i was still in bournemouth airport 10 miles away till approx 1.30,having landed at 12.30.i was over the speed limit and have retnd the nip for a fixed penalty offer(£100 + 3 points!).i cannot find if the law states whether the time of day shown by the camera should be accurate.when it flashed me i checked my watch,which showed 1.45.i have written to dorset police informing them but have received no reply.should i just accept the fine and points?

Were you speeding please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes if the camera was working ok

Have you responded to the s172 request naming the driver?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes it was me

It depends how you want to play this.

You can always refuse the fixed penalty. Nobody is under any obligation to accept a fixed penalty fine. They are just administrative offers.

The question here is whats the point. The consequence of that is that they may summons you. They may not. They do sometimes forget. If they do then thats wonderful but obviously you run the risk that they will remember.

If they do then you can still plead not guilty as indeed you were not at this location at this time. The consequence of that will be that the Crown will just amend the charge to include the correct particulars and then you would have no option but to plead and, unfortunately, pay court costs.

Sorry if thats bad news.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks for reply.seems like hung if i do and hung if i dont! 61 years old and clean license for35 years.oh well,seems best to accept penalty and points.wish my business could make money that easily. thanks for your reply.

It is certainly the less risky option.

Personally I would never take the fixed penalty but then I am happy to bear the risk of going to court.