75100385

We have just purchased a house and found out that the house

We have just purchased a house and found out that the house is not structurally sound and needs a lot of the ork. The previous owner has done all the work himself and it is going to cost a fortune to rectify what he has done. Do we have any recourse? We only had the mortgage company survey which didnt pick up much.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Which survey did you have, was it the mortgage own, middle one or top structural one please?

Customer:

I believe it was their own one and cost us approx 300.00

Alex Watts :

In that case you have no recourse.

Customer:

The house is a 1960 build in a good area and we believed this was acceptable.

Alex Watts :

There are three options for surveys. The mortgage valuation, which is more or less a very basic one and is only for the purposes of confirming that the house is worth the money

Alex Watts :

There is a middle one called Home Owners which is far more detailed and then structural survey which is the most expensive but considerably comprehensive

Alex Watts :

Therefore if you chose not to have any more detailed survey done then sadly you have no recourse

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

Customer:

Ok even if they lied to us and told us they didnt do the work themselves

Alex Watts :

That is a different matter

Customer:

Ok thank you

Alex Watts :

That is a different matter

Alex Watts :

You may have a claim against the previous owner, but NOT the surveyor or mortgage company

Alex Watts :

Customer:

Nothing else thank you

Alex Watts :

Great. If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go please.

Alex Watts :

If the system wont let you please do say, if you need more help please click reply

Customer:

It will not let me submit. I click on the excellent service but nothing happens

Try now!