75100385

My question is about my daughters attendance at school. I

My question is about my daughter's attendance at school. I know a parent can be prosecuted for their child's poor or no attendance but can I be prosecuted in the same way if my daughter does attend school but is always late. Her year of head phones nearly every morning to see if she has left yet and now the school attendance officer has been to my house.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Does being late count as late or non attending please?

Customer: At first she was just getting a late mark but because it is happening more frequently It counts as non attending.
Alex Watts :

Ok - can you be prosecuted - sadly yes you can

Alex Watts :

If she is late and it counts as non attendance then whilst you would technically could be guilty of an offence, it would be mitigated by the fact she attended late

Alex Watts :

Of course the amount of time she was late would also be taken into account, ie if she was 5 mins late any sentence would be lesser than if she was 2 hours late

Alex Watts :

However you need to ask the School/Local Authority for a copy of their policy

Alex Watts :

This is because it seems strange she was getting a late mark and now counts as non attending

Alex Watts :

I don't know whether she is getting later and they have a cut off, ie say 10 mins from being late to not being there

Alex Watts :

So you need to ask for that.

Alex Watts :

If she is constantly the same time late, it would seem strange the bracket has changed, which is why you need the policy

Alex Watts :

Customer: The cut of point is 10 minutes my daughter is late anywhere up to an hour where she is missing her first lesson.
Alex Watts :

Ok - then if she is under 10 min then I can see it being late.

Alex Watts :

But yes, you can be prosecuted, but any sentence is likely to be lesser than if she failed to go at all

Alex Watts :

Customer: What prosecution would I receive for what I have told you?
Customer: What prosecution would I receive for what I have told you? As she is late for up to an hour rather than not attending at all.
Alex Watts :

You are rather likely to get a fine

Customer: What is the range limit of the fine I would recieve
Customer: What is the range limit of the fine I would receive?
Alex Watts :

The fine is what is called a band A range to band C

Alex Watts :

So depends on your incone

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else?

Customer: No thanks you've answered everything I needed to .I can find out about the fine if I need to in the future. Hopefully things will improve and no action will be taken.
Alex Watts :

Great.

Alex Watts :

If this does answer the question might I invite you to rate my service today

Alex Watts :

If the system wont let you please do say. If you need more help please click reply

Customer: I tried to rate the service but would not let me submit, the rating I was going to give you was a good service, thanks for your help.
Try now!