Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I forwarded a communication from an employee of my client stating

I forwarded a communication from an employee of my client stating that they were looking for another job and that my colleague needed to start that search. Can forwarding that email to his employer/ my client be deemed as defamatory?
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.

What is your relationship to the parties and how did you come by this information?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I received the communication from an acquaintance of mine. I am a recruitment consultant and my client is going through a strategic restructuring of his business.I forwarded the communication given to me to my client. Nothing added other than that which i received which was a conversation between my acquaintance and my clients employee.

The result was that my client said that they would keep the employee employed until they could find a replacement which given the fact that he was looking for job seemed fair.

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.

OK. This is not defamatory as nothing derogatory is being said about the other persons character. Also no laws appear to be broken by you as you have no prior confidentiality agreement or fiduciary relationship with the employee in question. Morally what happened may be wrong but I cannot see that any legal basis for a complaint against you.