How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Alice H Your Own Question

Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2849
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

hi. i ve got a problem with Talk talk, i was living with a

Customer Question

hi. i ve got a problem with Talk talk, i was living with a friend and when i left (april 2013) we tried to change it for her name sending all the details. we re friends so for a few months i didn't mind to pay and she was giving me the money. later we stopped talking i dont get the money since december. i cancelled at the bank but Talk talk say they don't have any information they blame post office and i can't cancel untill they get the payment. i won't pay cos i didn't use it and was cut off in january 2014. last month was £200 that she must pay not me and now 357. what can i do?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name is Alex Hughes and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.

In whose name is the account/contract with TalkTalk?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Brigite Minez

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
No, I mean is it in your name or the other person?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it s on my name. my ex-friend used to pay it to me but since we stopped talking she doesn't want to pay and she used not me. and they cut it off in january. they want me or us to pay even without internet or landline.


Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
OK, understood.

This is really a matter of contract law.

You had a contract with TalkTalk to pay for the service used. Regardless of your agreement with your friend you have to pay them. This is because the account was not changed to her name. Unfortunately, despite the private arrangement with your friend, you still have to pay TalkTalk for the money due.

But you also had an agreement with your friend. She has to pay you for the service she used. So you can demand the money from your friend and if she refused to pay you can (if you want) make a claim against her in the County Court to get the money.

Obviously of your friend has disappeared you will not be able to get anything from her - but I'm afraid you remain liable to TalkTalk - you will not avoid liability by blaming your friend for the use of the service.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she spoke with them pretending to be me to get a tv box so why she couldn't cancel it or change to her name?

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice