Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

hi. i ve got a problem with Talk talk, i was living with a

Customer Question

hi. i ve got a problem with Talk talk, i was living with a friend and when i left (april 2013) we tried to change it for her name sending all the details. we re friends so for a few months i didn't mind to pay and she was giving me the money. later we stopped talking i dont get the money since december. i cancelled at the bank but Talk talk say they don't have any information they blame post office and i can't cancel untill they get the payment. i won't pay cos i didn't use it and was cut off in january 2014. last month was £200 that she must pay not me and now 357. what can i do?
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name is Alex Hughes and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.

In whose name is the account/contract with TalkTalk?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Brigite Minez

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
No, I mean is it in your name or the other person?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it s on my name. my ex-friend used to pay it to me but since we stopped talking she doesn't want to pay and she used not me. and they cut it off in january. they want me or us to pay even without internet or landline.

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
OK, understood.

This is really a matter of contract law.

You had a contract with TalkTalk to pay for the service used. Regardless of your agreement with your friend you have to pay them. This is because the account was not changed to her name. Unfortunately, despite the private arrangement with your friend, you still have to pay TalkTalk for the money due.

But you also had an agreement with your friend. She has to pay you for the service she used. So you can demand the money from your friend and if she refused to pay you can (if you want) make a claim against her in the County Court to get the money.

Obviously of your friend has disappeared you will not be able to get anything from her - but I'm afraid you remain liable to TalkTalk - you will not avoid liability by blaming your friend for the use of the service.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she spoke with them pretending to be me to get a tv box so why she couldn't cancel it or change to her name?