tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

Looking out from the back of my house i have a fence which

Looking out from the back of my house i have a fence which i built myself some years ago. A young couple moved in although the chaps father is the owner. The fence stands at six feet high and they have just covered the fence with bamboo reed and this now stands at two metres high from my side, this has now prevented me seeing some lovely trees in the distance which was a part of the scenery. what are my rights? Thanking you. Russ Barrie.
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name is***** can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

If the overall height of the fence excess 2m, then this would be a matter for planning, as permission is required first for such a height. It's worth speaking to your local planning department and asking them to investigate for you, as they could force them to take it down very easily and very quickly.

tdlawyer :

If it's not about 2m in height, then in all honesty, you might find it difficult to do anything about as there is no general right in English law to enjoy your view of local scenery etc.

tdlawyer :

You should, however, check the covenants recorded at the land registry to see whether there is anything that would help, in terms of the maximum height of fences etc.

tdlawyer :

If there is something in the deeds, this might be the answer to your problem.

Customer:

The fence stands at seven foot high from my side so is it right they need planning permission.

tdlawyer :

Okay - so that's worth looking into. This could be an easy quick fix for you if the planning department got involved.