tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

We have a property that has an allocated parking space behind

Customer Question

We have a property that has an allocated parking space behind it. This space as one of three, the other two being allocated to our neighbours in a three terrace construction,

Our neighbour continually parks either in our space, or across the two spaces, which means that we cannot park I our allocated space. We have approached them to resolve this, and for a while they are ok, then they revert to their old habits. The neighbour concerned is renting, not the owner.

What are our options for resolution?
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name is***** can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

Is this a freehold property or a leasehold property please?

Customer: It is a freehold property, end of terrace.
Customer: Hi Tony, it appeRs that the chat is waiting a customer action. The property is freehold. Karen
tdlawyer :

Okay. My suggestion to resolve this firstly, would be to write to him, setting out your concerns and saying that if you see him parking in your space again, then you would have to consider legal action.

tdlawyer :

If they continue, then see a solicitor and get a letter written on letter headed paper, it's amazing what effect this can have.

tdlawyer :

The letters ought to be copied in to the landlord if you know how to get hold of him.

Customer: Is it possible for us to install a lockable bollard on our space?
tdlawyer :

That way, he could apply some pressure too.

tdlawyer :

I don't see why you couldn't do that, if you wanted to, on your own freehold land. Just double check there are no legal agreements in place that you have entered into which might prevent you doing that, but I doubt there will be.

Customer: Ok, we will check with council first about the overlays on the allocated parking. Thanks for the advice. Karen
tdlawyer :

You're welcome. Can I check you're happy with the service given this evening please?

tdlawyer :

Are you there?

tdlawyer :

Is there anything more you would like me to cover with you?

Customer: Sorry, went to check the dinner. I think that your answer is Ok, but what happens if the 'threat' just makes them and the other neighbour more anti?
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

If it makes them more anti, then you have to decide whether you want to pursue this to court or not. If you did pursue it, then you should be able to obtain an injunction to prevent them trespassing into your space. If they do it against whilst there is an injunction in place, it's contempt of court, and they can then be punished by imprisonment.

Thank you for positively rating the answer.

Tony