Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I sold my Vauxhall astra to a dealership that I was buying

I sold my Vauxhall astra to a dealership that I was buying a used car from they gave me £200 for it I have since found out it was worth £1050. To make matters worse I found it on the website priced at £1791.
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today.

What exactly would you like to know about this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

For Alex Hughes

The garage must have known what my car was worth don't understand how they could undervalue it by so much. feels like a right kick in the teeth when I found out that the true part exchange price was £1050. where do I stand re compensation?'

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
OK.

The only grounds on which you could sue is if you believe the garage has made misrepresentation or negligent misstatement inducing you to enter into the agreement.A misrepresentation is a false statement of fact or law that is relied on by the other party in entering a contract. In simple terms that the garage 'hoodwinked' you into selling the car cheaply. If you can prove this then you will have a claim against the garage for breach of contract amd will be able to claim the true value from them.

I suspect the garage will say that this transaction is part and parcel of business - that basically they made you a reasonable offer which you accepted and simply because you're unhappy with the deal does not give you the right to more money after the deal was done.