Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

My father died in May. I am a joint executor along with my

My father died in May. I am a joint executor along with my 2 brothers and my father's solicitor. One of my brothers in making inferences in correspondence to the solicitor dealing with probation which are untrue and which I believe are intended to damage my reputation. I have on 2 occasions asked that this stops but I have been unsuccessful. This is causing me great distress and is making me ill. I believe I'm being unnecessarily harassed and I just want it to stop. What can you advise please? ***** *****
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome my name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

Can you provide me with any details about what they are actually saying?

Are they trying to remove you as an executor?

AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My brother is inferring that I have taken money from my father's Post Office card account, which is untrue.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Do you have copies of the letters to the solicitor?

What has the solicitor said in response?

AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I do have copies on email should you wish to see them. The solicitor handling probate has not reacted at all and appears to have ignored my brothers comments which I believe are a deliberate attempt to damage my reputation.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

The solicitor should ignore the comments. Without any evidence they are completely defamatory and your brother has made them to a third party. If the solicitor responded he could potentially end up perpetuating the problem.

If you have copies of the email you could potentially sue your brother for defamation. This is not a straight forward matter, but I would recommend that you consider contacting your own solicitor to write to your brother and "Warn" him off so to speak. This type of letter has to come from a solicitor to make it clear that you have taken advice and the allegations must stop. He is clearly not going to stop if you ask him to, but he may do if he receives a solicitors letter threatening to sue him for defamation.

I look forward to hearing from you.

AJ