LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I rent a flat from a housing association, which has a communal

I rent a flat from a housing association, which has a communal aerial. I and my neighbours (between 20 and 30 flats are affected) have been without a TV signal for 10 out of the last 12 days (including today). Despite several phone calls and emails from myself and neighbours, the problem has still not been resolved, and we are getting nowhere with our landlord (Jephson Housing). Can you please advise what further action we can take to get this matter resolved. Thank you.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.

LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

Is there anything in your tenancy agreement or any other documents about who is responsible fro maintaining and repairing the aerial? I ask this because this is probably a breach of contract issue so the starting point is any written contracts that exist.

Customer:

Yes, this is written in the service charge, and they have made all previous repairs and installation of the new aeirals when we went digital.

LondonlawyerJ :

OK I think you and the other tenants need to put a form al request in writing to the landlord. This should remind them of the problem, tell them you have complained already (and when) and demand that they fix it as soon as possible. You should also request details of their complaints procedure. It might be a good idea if as many as you as possible wrote separately to the landlord. YOU could threaten legal action but this would be a bit of an empty threat I think as you would not be able to get an injunction requiring them to fix the aerial. If you get the repairs done yourselves then you haven o legal right to claim back the costs from the landlord an if things go wrong you could be held responsible by them.