75100385

After returning from a 10 night holiday in Mexico, my iPhone

After returning from a 10 night holiday in Mexico, my iPhone was barred and came with a whopping bill of £1838 approx, this was due to data roaming charges, I made sure my data roaming was turned off on my mobile before I left the country but still orange insist I pay the bill. My iPhone was used max 4 times through FaceTime by my partner. I've googled this and it is known that when iPhones cannot find a wifi signal they can automatically turn their data roaming back on. I've contacted orange on many many occasions and no help was given what so ever or advice, neither have I received any corresponce or a actual bill, which I called and asked for a week ago but still haven't received. I have now received a letter from a debt collection agency demanding the payment, I've called them and they have given me till the 24th June 2014. This all started at the end of Feb 2014 and continues.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Have they given you the dates/times when the charges were incurred?

Alex Watts :

Is that when you used the phone please?

JACUSTOMER-qufki7tl- : Hi, no I've received no correspondse at all, when I returned from Mexico I attempted to use my phone but it had been barred, I contacted them and they informed me it was whilst I was in Mexico from 15th February to 25th Feb that I incurred the data roaming charges. Yes my phone was used in Mexico but only for my partner to FaceTime her daughter and that was 4 times max.
Alex Watts :

How long did you do that for and also how much data did you use? Your Iphone should tell you?

Customer: Each conversation was for about 5 mins 10 max, sorry I don't know how to find how much data was used.
Alex Watts :

I can tell you generally 30mb is used for a 10 min conversation

Alex Watts :

So if there were 4 calls thats 120mb

Alex Watts :

Usually the charge is around £5 per mb which would be £600

Alex Watts :

What you should do is formally write to Orange

Customer: I did get a message stating £8 per mb at the start of holiday
Alex Watts :
Orange Customer Services,

PO Box 10,

Patchway,

Bristol,

BS32 4BQ
Alex Watts :

Ok, so £8 may be £768

Alex Watts :

Write to Orange

Alex Watts :

They will formally acknowledge and investigate it

Alex Watts :

They will be able to tell you where and when it was used

Alex Watts :

Then you should know and get a detailed breakdown

Alex Watts :

If the charges are not justified they can reduce them

Alex Watts :

But I suspect you will owe something

Customer: I have written to their complaints about a month ago and received no reply
Alex Watts :

Ok - was it acknowledged, did you send it recorded?

Alex Watts :

If you did not send recorded and they have not acknowledged, send again and make sure you send it signed for

Alex Watts :

Then you know you have a copy

Alex Watts :

if they have acknowledged then you can write to the following address to escalate it

Alex Watts :

CISAS
International Dispute Resolution Centre
70 Fleet Street
London
EC4Y 1EU

Alex Watts :

Customer: The letter I received from the debt recovery agency will they have to keep it on hold till I resolve with orange?
Alex Watts :

Ok -

Alex Watts :

But send a letter to Orange direct recorded at the above address and go from there

Alex Watts :

Is that ok?

Customer: Yes thank you very much for your advice.
Alex Watts :

Happy to help.

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question might I invite you to rate my answer please

Alex Watts :

If the system wont let you please do say

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply?

Customer: I'm trying to rate excellent service but the system won't allow me.
Try now!