UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I have heard that if you are an unfurnished tennent and have

I have heard that if you are an unfurnished tennent and have been in residence for over 11 years that you have some statutory rights is this true?
pete
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I work at kew gardens and I live in an unfurnished flat that is administered by Kew but is actually crown property

The flat costs 10% of my basic pay and I am on-call 24 hours a day

I have been there 22 years in August but my tenancy agreement states that Kew only need to give me one months notice I have been told that after 11 years unfurnished tenants have some rights and can not be given just a months notice to get out

cheers

Pete

Since 1988, there has been no difference between furnished and unfurnished properties as far as security of tenure is concerned, so you do not get statutory rights as such but before you can be lawfully made to vacate the property, the landlord/employer would need to get a court order for possession andafter that, send bailiffs to remove you.

You do not need to move out when the 1 month notice expires, until a court order is obtained forcing you out. This process can take a few months.

May I help further?