How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69268
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My Fathers original Will cannot be found. I am the eldest

Resolved Question:

My Father's original Will cannot be found. I am the eldest of his 3 children. I believe he left everything to my youngest sibling according to the witnesses of his Will. Although I would not have contested his Will, where in fact do I stand therefore in this case?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.

Do have a signed copy?

Do you know who the executors are?

Who witnessed the will?

Do they not know where it is?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not have a signed copy but believe my sister does.

Don't know the Executors.

Witnesses were my Aunt and Uncle who believed my Father had lodged the Will with his Bank.

My siblings and I are estranged, but I believe my brother is contesting the copy of the Will.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Received identical email response from you twice although I replied to you.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
If your mother is no longer alive and there is no valid will, then the estate passes under the rules of intestacy whereby all the children get the proceeds divided equally.

If there is a signed copy of the will but no one original, it is possible with a statement from the witnesses as to the execution of the will to get a court order for the copy to be taken into account.

Wills can be contested on various grounds such as lack of mental capacity whereby the person did not know what they were doing at the time they made the will or undue pressure by someone else. Mental capacity (lack of) is not difficult to prove from medical records but sometimes undue influence can be problematical.

If your father has not made provisions for members of his family, then those who have been disadvantaged can ring a claim under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependents) Act.

If there is a will, beneficiaries have no absolute right to see it until such time as it is admitted to probate when they can get a copy from the probate registry.

If your brother contests the validity of the will or the validity of the copy, the proceeds would be divided equally between siblings under the rules of intestacy.

Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No one has made contact with the two Witnesses, even though my Father died 18 January 2013.So if I understand what you have said, as my brother is definitely trying to contest the Will, it will go to Probate (?) and then be equally divided amongst myself and my two siblings?If it is to be equally divided, do I have to ensure whoever deals with this division, that they know I exist?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Am still awaiting answer to my reply to you please.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, I was offline.

If your brother successfully contests the will, part of that contesting is to file a caveat at the probate registry which prevents probate being granted and therefore prevents the estate being distributed.

If the contesting is successful then the probate registry will grant him letters of administration (probate) to allow the state to be distributed under the rules of intestacy, equally to all the children. Whoever is dealing with the estate should know who the children are and where they are.

If there is only a copy of the signed will, it is the executors that are going to need to contact the two witnesses, not your brother.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am highly unlikely to be mentioned if my brother is successful in contesting the Will. It is an wful thing to say but my brother I know would deliberately deny my lever living on this earth! What would be the best way therefore to make my presence known as I would never know who the Executors are? Would there be someone I can write to so they know I exist? Thank you.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
If your brother is successful in contesting the will, it is dealt with under the terms of intestacy.

Presumably you are not a secret brother and your brother knows of your existence and therefore if he does not give you your proportion of the proceeds, he commits fraud which is a police matter.

You can file a caveat at the probate registry which stops him getting probate while there is a dispute. That is probably what he has done.

Here is a little explanation about caveats
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69268
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice