Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

one of my garage walls forms part of the boundary between

one of my garage walls forms part of the boundary between myself and my neighbour in so much as its there, but the garage belongs to me. The neighbour has attached a vine to this garage wall and to the weather boards using nails , rawl plugs and screws. What is my legal position regarding this matter, if i applied for a court order am i likely to be successful in getting everything that the neighbour has attached to this wall removed?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

Is this a party wall or is it solely on your land?

AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

its not a party wall as far as i am aware. I am responsible for the maintenance of the wall and the weather boards. Although i am not 100% sure on this. Would i have to go to the land registry office of wales to clarify this point?

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

You would need to check whether the boundary stops at the wall or whether the boundary divides the wall.

In any event growing plants on the wall and putting nails in it could allow water in and cause damp etc so it is a legitimate concern.

The neighbour is encroaching on your property and any court action would involve an injunction demanding they take it down. This is very expensive and time consuming.

I would suggest you either:
1. Let them do it, and if it causes any damp or damage you would have grounds to sue for this - I would just warn them first that you will hold them accountable for any damage caused to your property by this;

2. Ask a solicitor to write them a letter demanding they take it down and saying you will hold them responsible for any damage that you suffer.

I would get a solicitor to write the letter though as it has the added gravitas that you have taken advice and are asserting your rights.

I look forward to hearing from you.

AJ

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for your reply. I will now ask a solicitor to write and ask them to remove everything off this wall.

MJ