12826847

Hello, my additional holder was driving the car this morning

my additional holder was driving the car this morning and he was pulled by the police.
He was with 3 ladies in the car and was driving them to work.
We've got social, pleasure and domestic use only for this car so when he told the police that he is driving them to work the police took the car keys and seized the car. We had to go couple of hours later to collect it from a pound 50 miles away.
I changed the insurance to Social, pleasure, domestic and commuting purposes in order to collect the car.
My question is : Was it really necessary the car to be taken because of that word 'commuting' and was the policeman acting according to the law?

I am sorry but he was.

They have both a right and a duty to seize vehicles that are uninsured.

Uninsured means not only having a policy of insurance but a policy of insurance that covers a person for that specific purpose. Commuting was not covered so this vehicle was technically uninsured for that journey.

Whether or not you could have driven away in a different capacity and so be insured is another matter. That obviously depends on his expressed intention and whether the officer was willing to exercise discretion in his favour.

Normally though, cars that are not insured are impounded as a matter of course.

I'm very sorry.