12826847

Are speed camera fines legal if taken from a mobile unit on

Are speed camera fines legal if taken from a mobile unit on the other side of the carriageway with other vehicles between?

Is there any reason you think they may not be?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Obviously because you could not get a clear reading if another vehicle was in the way of your camera beam?

Yes, but with moving vehicles they are not normally fully blocked?

Or are you saying they were? Throughout ? Bearing in mind the range of a laser gun?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well yes it was a long way away and I had slowed down within 100 metres of camera station.I have never come across a mobile unit on the other side of the road before. I thought they were taking readings of cars coming down the hill, not up and I had fully slowed down, I thought, by the time I was near the unit!I have no idea of the range of these things however or their reliability.

They are not as reliable as GATSOs but they are pretty close. They are the most reliable device save for GATSOs. I used to prosecute traffic trials all the time and I have never seen one successfully challenged unless the officer was not using it in accordance with the guidelines and the departure was literally enormous.

Ultimately, the fines are valid. You can always challenge them at court if you are of the view that the findings of the device are not reliable.

There has been some case law that has reduced the requirements though although it isn't making an enormous difference.

There isn't a reason that they cannot use a laser gun from that location. The question will be whether there was a blockage but given the range of a laser gun its not likely the blockage continued throughout. Whether or not it was sufficient to undermine the findings are another matter. Usually with fast moving traffic there is a large enough gap for a laser gun to be effective. It does only require sight of your number plate at two fixed points in the road.

I'm very sorry but I have to give you truthful information.