29905560

I am about to buy a caravan, the problem is the seller wants

I am about to buy a caravan, the problem is the seller wants the money for the caravan up front using Ebay.They said they have been approved to use buyer protection program. Is this safe? they said payment is covered by Ebay and they only get paid after we receive the caravan. The caravan is in London and we are in Aberdeen. They are going to deliver the caravan to us once the money is deposited in Ebay.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Where exactly are you supposed to send the money - have they given you a website?

Customer:

They are going to put it on Ebay motors under buy it now so we can buy it immediately.

Ben Jones :

Where did you find the caravan originally?

Customer:

On caravans for sale site

Ben Jones :

Whilst this could be genuine, you need to be careful. If the caravan is genuinely placed on ebay and you then pay via PayPal (the approved payment method through ebay) and you ensure that the buyer is indeed protected under the Seller protection scheme then you will be safe because in the event that they do not meet their part of the bargain you could make a claim through Paypal to get your money back. However, it is not uncommon to have fraudsters pretend they have placed items on ebay or to use fake payment methods and it is about ensuring that you are actually dealing through the genuine ebay and Paypal sites, rather than an elaborate fake. Until I have seen the actual listing though, I cannot state whether it is genuine or not, although you should be able to work this out by logging in to ebay directly from their homepage then searching for the item by the item number given to you by the seller - in other words try not to use any links given by them, get to the listing on your own and by ensuring you are going through the real ebay site to start with. The same goes with the payment method - only use the link via the genuine listing, do not use any links given to you by the seller

Customer:

How would we know if it was a fake or genuine Ebay or Paypal number. How do we check this

Ben Jones :

As mentioned, if you actually log in through the proper ebay site (www.ebay.co.uk) and then search for the item number you are given through there, it would show up if it is a genuine listing. The issue is fraudsters use clone websites that look like the real thing but are not. So if you make your own way to the site via the web address for the genuine ebay site and then navigate your own way to the item listing, assuming it is on there, you would know that it is actually listed on ebay rather than on a different fake site

Customer:

Thanks Ben for your help will do that

Ben Jones :

You are most welcome. Also you are always free to get back to me on here once you have the details of the sale before you pay anything, I can always check it for you to see if anything suspicious comes up

Customer:

Many thanks hopefully it will be genuine but you can't be to sure these days Regards Shona

Ben Jones :

You are quite right, I have seen many examples of fraud, a lot of it quite clever and genuine-looking

Customer:

You have been very helpful Take care and good night

Ben Jones :

All the best, ***** *****