UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My mother is extremely ill and looks like she will need to

My mother is extremely ill and looks like she will need to go into a home very soon for 24 hr care. She owns her own bungalow and has £27,000 savings. Can she have a transfer deed drawn up so government cant touch her home? I am a signatory on her building society account...can I transfer money to my children without her signature so her savings are reduced and she will get residental home paid for by the Government?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

If she is deliberately signing over her property and assets to avoid care home fees, then the local authority has the power to force whoever receives the property and assets to to pay for her care fees.

If she does this more than 2 years before she goes into care, it is less likely that the transaction will be challenged, if she does so within 6 months, it will be challenged.

May I help further?