UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hi, i closed my business this year to a director leaving. I

Customer Question

Hi, i closed my business this year to a director leaving. I changed the company name and setup a new Limited company. My company name has been changed for 18 months now. I have a complaint from 2011 and a legal letter from a clients solicitor. Am I within my rights to not accept any liability as the company has closed down? Please help.. Sean
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
Hello Sean,

What is the complaint about?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, a client bought a wig from my company to be bonded to his scalp for 4-6 weeks. The client has then to revisit our clinic every 4- 6 weeks to have it re-bonded. This client works in the Carribean in very hot climates and was advised he had to maintain the system himself with tapes that can be re-applied themself. He decided he could not cope so i offered him £750 from the £1'100 he had paid which seemed reasonable as it was a bespoke system designed for his cranium. He accepted the monies and then never came back for 2.5 years. His solicitor is now pressuring myself for all kinds of things. Am i still responsible as that company has now closed 'Hair Replacement Clinic Ltd' the name was changed as a director left the company. It is now registered as 'Yorkshire Hair Replacement Clinic Ltd'.

Please advise

Sean

Thanks Sean,

You did not engage in wrongful or fraudulent trading so you are not liable. You should simply inform them to chase the old company for their issue.

It seems you have been very reasonable dealing with them and I do not see what can be done over and above what you have already offered them. They seem to be trying it on.