29905560

My daughter is being stop from playing in her golf club championships

My daughter is being stop from playing in her golf club championships because she is also a member of another club and represents the other club in team matches. At the moment she is the club champion in both clubs and has held the title for 4 years in the club trying to stop her.This new rule has been brought in to force half way through the season and nothing is mentioned on the membership forms or in the clubs rules and regulations.We feel that she is being discriminted against. Thanks for your time and we look forward to your reply.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

I am afraid that this is not discrimination. It would only be discrimination if she was treated unfairly due to a protected characteristic and these are limited to race, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, marriage. She is not prevented from playing because of any of these reasons – the reason is her involvement in another club, therefore this is not discrimination.

The club will largely be free to decide what rules apply top its members and will be rather flexible in that respect. If they wanted to prevent someone from playing because they are also playing for someone else then that is entirely legal and it is in no way discriminatory. Her only grounds of complaint would be if she was to argue that these rules are a breach of contract because they go against the current rules, however that would only happen if the rules did not allow for changes to be made and for example they had to give specific notice of these changes. Therefore she must check the current rules carefully to see whether the club can introduce such changes and in what circumstances or by following what procedure.

Even if this was a breach of contract she cannot really do much in terms of forcing them to change the rules. All she can do is sue them for compensation for the losses incurred as a result and this would generally be limited to her membership fees for the remaining period of her membership, she cannot for example claim any prize money she may have won as it is of course not guaranteed that she would have won anything, regardless of her past performance.

Customer:

Thank you for your help. I am sure that in the clubs rules any changes has to be put to the members for change

Ben Jones :

That would depend on what is in the actual rules - the law does not deal with this, it is for each club to decide how to manage its own rules and they will be the ones that decide what policy to have in place, hence why you must check the specific rules to see what can and can't be done. But as mentioned even if they are in breach, there is little that can be done apart from to arguing they have acted in breach of contract and then seek compensation such as the refund of membership fees as these are the only tangible damages that may have been suffered as a result

Customer:

Ok. Thank you for your help

Ben Jones :

you are most welcome, all the best

Customer:

thanks

Ben Jones :

Also not sure if you are able to rate but there is a bug in the system which we sometimes get and it prevents you from posting your rating. Instead, you can just type your selection on here (e.g. OK, Good, Excellent) then we will process it manually later. Thank you

Customer:

good

Ben Jones :

Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'