UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I applied for retrospective repayment of Care home fees, on

I applied for retrospective repayment of Care home fees, on behalf of Aunt, who passed away in April 2006. I was informed any claim had to be received by by September 30th 2012, which I duly did. The claim was against Sandwell PTC in the West Midlands. In March 2013 I received a letter requesting a copy of her will, which was duly supplied. Last year the NHS changed the name of the former body to Sandwell and West Birmingham Commissioning Group. I still had not heard anything, so I phoned in May this year. This week I received a letter to state I now had to apply to Birmingham, as my Aunt's GP had a Birmingham address. This GP Practice was actually in Sandwell when she registered many years ago, then a new practice was built on the Sandwell/Birmingham border. She was in the Care home from 2000-20006, and any GP in attendance was one connected to the home, and her death certificate was signed by them too. This argument seems ridiculous to me, apart from an almost two year delay in any response. I am sending a formal letter of complaint, and intend to contact the Ombudsman. Am I right to feel that Sandwell provided the health Care, so, Sandwell are responsible for paying any retrospective fees.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Yes, it would appear that your analysis is correct and Sandwell PCT would have been responsible for refunding the fees. Obviously Sandwell PCT is now Sandwell and West Birmingham CCG:

http://www.sandwellandwestbhamccg.nhs.uk/index.php/our-governing-body

Hope this helps