75100385

I am a leaseholder in a communal block of flats (Housing Association).

Customer Question

I am a leaseholder in a communal block of flats (Housing Association). I am required to have a parking permit to park in the communal car park.

The landlord has commissioned a car parking company to control the car park. This company prints and provides the permits. The permit is required to be "clearly displayed in your front windscreen" it is adhesive. It has the number of the vehicle recorded upon it. My objection is that they have also recorded my flat number which I do not want as it informs all persons looking at my vehicle of my address.

Question. Is this reasonable on their part and is it contrary to any legislation that I might refer to. I am obviously thinking of the Data Protection Act 1998

Thank you for your kind assistance.

Alex Watts :

Dear *****

I recently attended the above hearing for you. I am just following up to see if there is anything else you need from me at this stage?

If not thanks for the instruction and please remember me in future. If there is anything else you need please let me know.

Alex Watts :

Is it just showing the flat number and reg, nothing else?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Customer:

Hello Alex

Customer:

I appear to have a part of someone else's answer, this is not a propitious start.

Alex Watts :

Yes I am sorry about that because I was sending an email to a client

Customer:

Relevant to me yes i.e. the name of my building plus my flat number and reg. serial number site number and valid until date plus the details of the company

Customer:

I shall try and download a copy

Alex Watts :

Can anyone identify you from the pass

Customer:

They can identify my flat from the pass

Alex Watts :

Ok - then if it is disclosing your personal details it could well be a breach of the Data Protection Act as they are required to keep your information secure.

Alex Watts :

You should therefore write to the Company and state they are in breach of the act and ask them to put it right

Alex Watts :

If you do not get a response then you can complain to the Information Commissioner

Alex Watts :

They are independent and offer a free service

Alex Watts :

But they wont take any action until you have a formal final response from the Company

Alex Watts :

Their website is www.ico.gov.uk

Alex Watts :

Customer:

That is what I have done. Many thanks for your help.

Alex Watts :

Ok that is good.

Alex Watts :

What has the ICO said?

Customer:

I appear to have misled you, I only wrote to the Housing Association today in the form of a complaint

Customer:

Car Parking Permit.

I am aggrieved that due to the design of the recently issued Parking Permit and contrary to what I had previously been assured would not recur, my address is once again readily identifiable by all and sundry.

Whilst I understand the need for the building managers and their agents to be able to match my vehicle with my address, this information should not be readily available to others. I do not want anybody to be able to easily relate my vehicle with my personal address. I believe your connivance in doing so, to be a contravention of the DATA Protection Act which requires organisations such as Hyde to keep information about me confidential.

Secondly although a minor point, the address is incorrect inasmuch as the building is shown as HarbourTowers. There is no plural it should read HarbourTower.

The organisation of parking, its control and the issuance of permits has been nothing less than shambolic since the arrival of Hyde, this as a result of the perfidious approach adopted, by your recently resigned Estate Manager (Mr Mike Smart), who I understand was the responsible party.

The use of a poorly designed survey to dress up a predetermined outcome together with contrary statements to different parties has managed to change what had been a happily operating system, arrived at over a period of several years, into the current system which does not draw the approbation of many.

Please arrange for me to be issued with a Parking Permit which omits my Flat Number and which is correctly addressed.

Alex Watts :

Oh I see.

Alex Watts :

Yes I understand now

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else for you about this today please?

Customer:

No I think we are done, how do I pay you?

Alex Watts :

If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go

Alex Watts :

If the system wont let you please do say

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply

Customer:

Yes of course, I have tried to but the faces are staying in very faint form and not letting me pick, is there something else I can do?

Try now!