12826847

I have recently applied for mini bus insurance and have been

I have recently applied for mini bus insurance and have been asked to provide photo copies of my driving licence front and back is this legal I was also asked whether I was born in the uk in addition to weather I had been a uk citizen for more than five years the vehicle I was asking for insurance quotes on is a 9 seater ford tourneo I was asked why I needed a vehicle this size as the under writers would ask this question when I had already said domestic and leisure. I had to explain that I only needed six seats and was taking the three back seats out for space for wheelchair for my son and a dog cage and camping equipment afterwards I wondered why I had to explain this in detail feel quite uncomfortable with it all.

I think their concern was probably whether or not you needed a different type of insurance such as hire and reward.

Obviously this is a large vehicle for domestic use and they were entitled to ask questions to ascertain your intended purpose.

Also, their issue may be whether you intend some form of relevant modification.

Insurance companies are under a duty to question applicants to ensure that they do intend to use the vehicle for the disclosed purpose and that they don't need any other form of insurance.

If you think it was just intrusive then you can always complain to the Financial Ombudsman but I suspect that will be their justification.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi thank you for you reply I informed them I purchased the vehicle I am concerned about sending photo copies of my license in case it could be duplicated more than anything else and why being born in the uk is relevant if resident more than five years.

They are entitled to demand anything they like. You can, of course, refuse but that would lead to them cancelling the policy.

Copies of your licence seems reasonable enough.

Being born in the UK is relevant from a risk assessment point of view.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was born in the uk and have been driving for over 20 yrs and have never been asked these types of questions before for vehicle insurance. I will contact them about my concern and ask if they would accept a conference call with the DVLA and place my concerns with a consumer protection company, thank you for your advice.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’.