75100385

I had an facebook conversation with a lady and my girlfriend

I had an facebook conversation with a lady and my girlfriend found out the lady and her sisters have been messaging me and printed off the messages and sent them to my girlfriends ex husband the messages aren't threatening but have cause trouble in the family would it be worth reporting it to the police and would they obtain a court order to get the IP address and find out who is sending the messages and letter

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

What is it you want to achieve please?

Customer:

I would just like to know if I went to police would they pursue it and get the IP address even if there was no physical threats made thankyou

Alex Watts :

Depends on what was said.

Alex Watts :

The Malicious Communications Act states:

Alex Watts :

Any person who sends to another person—

(a)a [F1letter, electronic communication or article of any description] which conveys—

(i)a message which is indecent or grossly offensive;

(ii)a threat; or

(iii)information which is false and known or believed to be false by the sender; or

(b)any [F2article or electronic communication] which is, in whole or part, of an indecent or grossly offensive nature

Alex Watts :

Therefore if it falls into the above, the Police can take action

Alex Watts :

Customer:

the letter didn't issue threats as such they were copies of a private conversation I had with the lady on Facebook in it I called my girlfriends ex husband some names and told her some private business, is this illegal and can I get police to find out who it is thank you

Alex Watts :

Sadly in that case you can not do anything

Alex Watts :

This is not illegal

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you are looking for and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

Customer:

what about the original messages between myself and the woman and then her sisters after my girlfriend found out they said they would let people know what a liar I was, as I did ask her to be discreet if my girlfriend contacted her, If I did take this to court would this all come out I did say in the letter that my girlfriend and I were having a relationship though she didn't want it to be made public, and I did tell this woman I was single, my girlfriends ex husband is very bitter about it all and causing trouble, would this be grounds to go to the police I own my own care agency so would this have a detrimental affect if it went to court, How easy would it be to get a court order to get their IP address as I think they maybe fake profiles, is that illegal ? I apologise for asking so many questions and thank you for your help.

Alex Watts :

Sadly there is nothing you can do about that. There may be a case for libel/slander, but this would be a High Court procedure and cost over £15,000 - legal aid is not available.

Alex Watts :

I am sorry it is not better news, but sadly the law does not really cover this

Alex Watts :

can I clarify anything else for you?

Customer:

Thank you for ur help

Alex Watts :

Happy to help, sorry its not better news

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question might I invite you to rate my answer today

Alex Watts :

If the system wont let you please do say