Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

My brother has been called up for jury service for a date which

My brother has been called up for jury service for a date which he has managed to get a deferral for due to a booked holiday. However the next date given by the courts is at a time (half term)when his wife who is a teacher and himself go away for a deserved break.They will not defer again,or accept as an excuse that he is registered completely deaf in one ear. Your advice appreciated. R . Driver
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today.

You are right to say that a person can only defer jury service once. Also to be excused on medical grounds, his hearing problem has to be of such severity that he could not properly take part in the trial. If he can demonstrate this then he could ask the Judge on the first day of jury service to be excused; otherwise he has an obligation to attend and take part. This may not be the answer he is looking for but the Court's are concerned about the diminishing size of the jury pool, so any request to be excused has to be for a very good reason indeed. With regard to the holiday, if it was booked and paid before the jury summons was sent, then he ought to write back to the administrator with copies of the tickets/itinerary and ask them to reconsider otherwise he would again have to make an application to the Judge.