tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

I run a public house and am constantly being targetted by a

I run a public house and am constantly being targetted by a group of homeowners who complain to the authorities about everything. The pub was here long before the houses. I do try to comply with everything and I am now feeling persecuted and harrassed and they are affecting business. Do i have a right to fight back
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hi thanks for your question. My name is***** can help with this.

tdlawyer :

In short, yes, you might be able to fight back. It sounds like they might be harassing you, but in order for you to be able to complain/claim about that, you cannot be a company. Are you a sole trader/partner, or are you trading through a limited company?

Customer:

Partner

tdlawyer :

Okay, then you're able to complaint that their acts may be harassment.

Customer:

how do I start

tdlawyer :

Any course of conduct (2 or more times) that an ordinary person would consider to be harassment, would be actionable. In fact, it's a criminal offence, and you can now involve the police.

tdlawyer :

Or, if they do not want to act (it can be difficult sometimes to get the police interested) then you can issue proceedings in the county court.

tdlawyer :

However, because of the costs implications, you should always take advice before issuing proceedings in the county court.

Customer:

they have constantly objected to changes. This time they have objected to a parking scheme which does not affect their street or area - I think this is just another spite game, if i could prove this would that be grounds enough

tdlawyer :

Yes, it could be.

Customer:

Perhaps even a letter from a solicitor explaining that I could go down this route if complaints persist ??

tdlawyer :

To be honest, often showing people you're serious about fighting back is enough. Have a word with the police and see what they say. If they even go and have a word with your neighbours, it might make all the difference. However, when you start on a path, you have to be prepared to potentially see it through, otherwise, they might just get worse.

tdlawyer :

Yes, a solicitor's letter is a good idea.

Customer:

I don't think it could get worse - I am considering leaving the pub !!

Customer:

Is there a name for this action I would be taking

tdlawyer :

Just say you want to make a comlaint about harassment under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

Customer:

Thankyou

tdlawyer :

You're welcome.

tdlawyer :

Can I ask if you're happy with the service this evening please?

Customer:

Yup have given you a green smiley face lol

tdlawyer :

Thank you! :) Have a great evening. If you need anything more, just let me know!