12826847

My late father recently passed away and left an estate with

Customer Question

My late father recently passed away and left an estate with some rather large bills needing paying and drew up a large debt although he did leave seven houses; five of which to me, I thought - however, his girlfriend is now making a claim for half the estate and on the papers that came the details of the claim my aunt is 'beneficien' and is so dealing with the issue without my involvement. However, I have a will from my mother that states that I personally own half the house; the largest and most valuable house and was also left a company building that he also sold and before he met her I believe the share of my value of the estate to be worth £450,000. It is now £610,000 in mortgage which is just about held in value in four of houses that he purchased on the house as well as the value of the house I live in although have been threatened to lose. I would like to know what kind of legal advice I need to possibly even persue getting the money I owe - out of her because that is how much he spent in the time he was with her.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.

Have you seen a copy of your father's Will?
How long were he and his partner cohabiting?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes i have seen a copy of the will but don't really understand it.

They lived together for two years but then she moved out and he paid for a house for her to live in. And they were off and on for about 10 odd years

Who had he named as Executor?
Who owns the house that she lives in?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He named my aunt and a solicitor

She owns her own house my dad also left her a house paid off.

With regard to your mother's Will dis she leave the half of the house to you outright - or only if your father died before her?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She left 100% of her estate to me on age 25. She didn't leave anything to my father.

Were any assets held in joint names - if so were they held as Tenants in Common or Beneficial Joint Tenants?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't know but there was one asset of a company building that in his will if I die before him he passes to another person but he sold it before he died and I believe I owned it.

What makes you think that you actually owned it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

In his will it states, 'In the event that my said son shall predecease me and I shall have inherited from him the freehold property situated ...address given...' it goes to his girlfriends grandchildren. But he sold it so doesn't the value of that belong to me and not even in the estate.

Was your name ever on the deeds?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't know but I doubt it.

If your name was never on the deeds then you were never an owner of the property
Who were the executors of your mother's Will?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have recently spoken to one of the executors and my name wasn't on the deeds I just presumed that as mother left me 48% of her company (The Company building being a part of the company) it belonged to me - as when my father was alive I tended to just aquiesce to his wishes although the executor did say that he had a lot of money off me from my mothers estate as I was in hospital occasionally. What I was trying to do was reclaim what my father had off me and then offset that against her 50% which then would be a lot less of a value for her to receive.

So what do you actually own that is relevant to your father's Will?