Someone has hacked into my icloud storage and copied and

Customer Question

Someone has 'hacked' into my icloud storage and copied and deleted my data. It may be someone I know. I want to find out from Apple Legal the IP address and serial number of the device used to identify them. Is that even possible and how do I go about this successfully?

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

How do you know they hacked in please?

Is this a former girlfriend?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi I had a phishing type email casing me to investigate with Apple - it turns out a device I have never owned has accessed and downloaded and then deleted my data.

Have you reported it to the police in the UK?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not officially yet as no money has been taken as far as I know so Police want me to register crime online with fraud team.

Not a former girlfriend by the way - I am happily married. Motive would be bullying, harassment, snooping, possible blackmail intentions? Am very stressed so it's working.

If this is hacking then that is a criminal offence and the police should take a crime report. Its fair to say that its the type of offence that is taken much more seriously in the States largely because in the UK the police are too busy meditating stupid neighbour disputes and domestic squabbles.

If they refuse though then you can complain to the IPCC.

The reason you shoud do so is that its much easier for the police to force Apple to hand this information over.

If you are left entirely on your own then you could seek an injunction forcing Apple to reveal this. The reason they are refusing is that they are bound by the DPA and they need a court order to protect them.

There is cost in that although, if its not contested by Apple, probably not a huge amount.

Obviously though that will only reveal the IP address and if its an internet cafe booked under a false name that would not give you much assistance.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can you help with the injunction?

Okay so IP address may not work - but what about serial number of the device? Do you think that is information that they would have access to?

It's so awful. It's like my home and life has been burgled.

I would be surprised if Apple can trace that from remote access but they may be able to.

That would only reveal who bought the device originally which obviously might not reveal the user. I suppose it would depend when it was bought and combined with the IP address it might be probative.

What would you like to know about the injunction?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do I need one? Would a letter suffice? Apple told me to write in to legal quickly. Can you help me with the wording?

I think that probably Apple are unlikely to want to breach the DPA without an injunction for their own protection.

You can write to them. You can also get a solicitor to write to them warning them that an injunction would be at their cost. Might work, might not.

I suspect in truth that it would probably. They need to protect themselves from allegations of breaches.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can you help me with the wording for the letter please?

If its just that you want to write to them then there is no particular wording.

Just say that you are trying to trace this information to identify the defendant so that he can be sued. If they do not provide it by X date then you will be forced to seek an injunction and apply for costs against them.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Am I asking for information under the Data Protection Act or some other Act?

No. Its as I've said on this point.

You don't have any rights to demand this information. The DPA prevents Apple from disclosing it and they are not bound by the Freedom of Information Act because they are not a public body.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Then how could I get the injunction you mentioned against them - under what grounds / rules?

You have to go to court and argue that you need disclosure of this evidence in order to action against the person it will identify.

That doesn't give you rights to demand it without an order from Apple though.