12826847

I have a car on finance in my name log book in ex girlfriends

Customer Question

I have a car on finance in my name log book in ex girlfriends name she want give me the car back how do I stand

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Who is the registered keeper please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The registered keeper is my ex girlfriend is isn't paying me for the car which the finance is in my name
That is bad news.

Why is she the registered keeper please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Because the insurance stated the insured person must be the registered keeper
Ok.

But why is she involved at all if this is your car?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Because I bought it when we were together and because I've finished our relationship she is being spiteful she won't except it over and this is the only way to get back at me
OK. I understand all of that.

What I need to know is why is she got anything to do with your car?

My husband and I have separate cars and we have never driven each others or been named upon any document

I need to know what the arrangement was with this car? At the moment, it tends to look as though you bought it for her ? Is that not correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No I bought it for me when she passed her test I bought a bigger car for me and she used the 207 on my insurance but she wanted her own insurance and that's why the registration document went in her name
Ok.

The difficulty that you have is that she is the registered keeper. That doesn't prove ownership of the vehicle but it does mean that she has a right to possess the vehicle until you get an order to the contrary.

In fact, if this is a finance car then almost certainly the true owner is the finance company.

You have a variety of options. The first is to just stop paying and they will repossess fast enough.

The second is to seek an injunction forcing her to hand the car over.

The third is to sue for the value of the car. That is likely to be a small claims court sum so it would be cheaper and she may well just hand it back.

If you do have to sue and win you will get costs against her.

Might be an idea to send her a letter before action giving her 7 days to hand over the car to avoid costs.