12826847

I am an agent for Hillarys Blinds Ltd.As such...

Customer Question

I am an agent for Hillary's Blinds Ltd. As such, I get frequently asked to call on new tenants in Housing Association properties. In every case, previous tenants have been required to remove all carpets, curtains and blinds from the property they are vacating. Incoming tenants are faced with bare floors and windows. Given the fact that incoming housing association tenants, by definition, have little disposable income, I cannot understand why they are forced to incur these expenses, when the existing carpets, curtains and blinds would have done perfectly well. Is there, in any case, no provision in law that requires landlords to provide floor and window coverings? If I were letting privately, I should feel obliged to provide these things, and might well be obliged to do so in law - I don't know. It seems housing associations feel no such obligation. Perhaps you could find out for me? Nick XXXXX XXXXXXX XXXX XXXXXXXXX XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Nicola

No problem, I'm not in a hurry and this is part of an ongoing 'project' or campaign.

TTFN

Nick Russell

Hello Nick,

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

Is it a term of the tenancy to remove coverings please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Alex

I am just checking with the housing agencies, plural, whether this requirement to remove floor and window coverings is in their tenancy agreements.

I will be back to you when I have found out.

Nick Russell

Ok