Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I wish to withdraw a police information notice..what can i

I wish to withdraw a police information notice..what can i do
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.

Alex Hughes :

My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.

Alex Hughes :

Could you tell me a little more about the situation?

Customer:

yes i fell out with my husband and he left we had a few rows and he tried to get back in touch i refused and the police issused a poice notice on him barring him from conta ting me or visiting the famiyly home and tbe street it is on ..

Alex Hughes :

Has he been charged or just on police bail?

Customer:

i am terminally ill and i want to reconcile with him and for him to move back but the police see he cant...he has not been charged or on bail..it was just a police information notice he has not been vien or aggressive towards me i just took the police advice and now we cant live together

Customer:

sorry not been violent to me

Alex Hughes :

OK. I'm gping to type an answer. Just bear with me for a few minutes.

Customer:

ok thank you..

Customer:

sorry lost connection but back

Alex Hughes :

Police Information Notices (PINs), also called called Harassment Warning Notices, are issued by the police where there isallegations of harassment but is not any kind of formal legal action. They are not formal police cautions, charge or bail conditions - the notice is a written notice to stop harassing you. But becaude it is not formal action the police cannot stop your husband returning to your address if that is what you want. BUT if there is a problem in the future then the police may take action against him for harassment and rely on the fact that the notice has been issued.

Because acknowledging receipt of a Police Information Notice does not mean that the recipient is admitting any wrongdoing, there is no right of appeal. If a person is unhappy about the fact that the warning was issued, he or she could complain to the police force or to the Independent Police Complaints Commission. Specific legal advice from a suitably qualified professional would be necessary if a recipient wished to check the implications of the PIN for future action they might wish to take.

The Government is working with the Association of Chief Police Officers to review guidance for the police on the issuing of PINs as part of updating wider stalking and harassment guidance

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you very much it puts me at ease i only have 6 months to live

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Remember that the notice was issued to your husbanf, so you have no right to complain. If he wishes he can complain in the manner I have outlined. Otherwise, because he is not on bail and there is no restraining order, there is nothing stopping him from returning to the home if that's what you both want. Please remember to take a moment to rate my answer. All the best.