12826847

Hi, I sold a car to a former employee two years ago. He has

Hi, I sold a car to a former employee two years ago. He has since that time failed to pay £1400 of the £2200 agreed price. Numerous times I have chased him. This week I asked for payment or return of the car which I would sell to clear the debt. I have now learnt that he has sold the car and kept the proceeds. I feel he has defrauded me and would like to report to the police. Is this something that the police will act upon

I am sorry but the police will say its a civil matter and it is really. I realise that you could argue that its criminal as well but their view will be that this should be in the civil courts. Also, from your point of view, your goal really should be to recover the money not have him prosecuted. The police prosecute people and so punish. The civil courts compensate.

This is only a small claims court sum so it will be cheap and quick to issue against him. You can do so here

www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

You should really send him a letter before action warning of your intention to sue if he does not pay within 7 days first though.