UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I am calling from a Non League football club. We have been

Customer Question

I am calling from a Non League football club. We have been approached by an Albanian national who wants to play football for our club. How can we help him to come to the UK so that he can join the club. Does he need a visa/work permit etc?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Yes, he would need a work permit to play for you.

He could apply for a Tier 2 (Sportsperson) work permit if he is recognised and endorsed by the governing body of football, see here

https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-sportsperson-worker-visa

May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the advice. Looking at the Tier 2 (Sportsperson) work permit documentation it looks as though this is intended for persons at the highest level in their sport i.e. a £ 30 million footballer coming from South America.....!! not I fear for a young, decent footballer wishing to play for a club at Step 4 level. I presume therefore he will just have to apply for a standard work permit. What about a visa? is that also covered by the work permit?

I am afraid I do not see any other way the person can play for you, the visa and work permit are the same thing. The UK Has really tightened up immigration rules.

Unless Albania joins the EU in which case the person could come and play here.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So what you are saying is that he has to follow the procedure to try and aquire a visa/work permit, and he can only do this through the British Consul in Tirana.

Yes correct.