Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I collect fossils. I found some dinosaur bone and gave it to

I collect fossils. I found some dinosaur bone and gave it to a preparer to have prepared at a cost of £100 in May 2009. I have a receipt. I subsequently rang the preparer and visited him a number of times over the space of a year, but was told that the bone was not ready yet or was in storage. The preparer then quit business and disappeared. I searched for him with no success. I did find contact details for him with another company about a year ago but could not get through to him. I have now managed to get through to him at another company. Initially he denied knowledge of our transaction, so I sent him a picture of the receipt and pictures of the fossil. He now says he has located the fossil but that I owe him £250 in storage costs. Do I have a legal position against him? Thank you, Joe
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.

Alex Hughes :

My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.

Alex Hughes :

On what basis is he claiming that you owe him storage fees?

Customer:

He has had my fossil for5 years

Alex Hughes :

I think you need to take a firm stand. He appears to in breach of contract - he agreed to do your work in return for a fee. Once he had completed that task he should have returned your fossils but did not do so. His failure to do so is a breach for which you could sue. There is no legal basis for him to claim storage fees for his failure to return your fossils - he incurred the 'storage' charges - not you. I suggest you tell him that unless the fossils are returned immediately you will take action for breach of contract.

Customer:

Thank you, ***** *****!

Customer:

All the best, Joe

Alex Hughes :

Good luck. Any problems come back to me and I will help you further, for example, with a letter of claim. Remember to keep an eye on his movements in case he disappears again!