Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I am a member of 2 clubs namely Coombe Hill Golf Club and Roehampton

Customer Question

I am a member of 2 clubs namely Coombe Hill Golf Club and Roehampton Club. Both clubs require a pre-payment with the renewal fees for general consumptions and food consumed during the membership year. If the pre-paument is not used e.g. in Coombe Hill Golf Club, the monies are taken away by the club without any recourse. Roehampton Club however gives the member the opportunity to buy some wine e.g at normal retail prices at the end of the membership year. Coombe Hill however claims that this is against the UK licensing laws and they cannot do this. In my particular case, having been unable to spend this money because of illness etc. I will loose an amount close to £600. Is this fair? and is this correct?
Wouter L van Moppes. tel. no. 0203(###) ###-####
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Alex J. :

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is AJ and I will assist you. I am afraid as long as they have told you in advance that the deposit for the food consumption is non-refundable (i.e use it or lose it) the they are entitled to do this. However did you at any point put them on notice that you were unwell and could not attend the club? Kind regards AJ