tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

Someone used my address to apply for energy supply, I want

Customer Question

Someone used my address to apply for energy supply, I want to find out who it is but
the energy company told me they can not give me any information because of data protection act.
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello thank you for your question.

tdlawyer :

My name is Tony, and I can assist with this.

tdlawyer :

You can point out to the energy company that they are not prevented from providing this information to you, as there is an exemption under section 35 of the Data Protection Act 1998 which allows information to be provided/disclosed where there is a need to obtain the information in order to enable you to understand your legal rights and whether you have a cause of action against a third party.

tdlawyer :

I attach a link to the section here, for your information: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1998/29/section/35

tdlawyer :

I hope this answers your question, although if not, please feel free to ask me anything else.

tdlawyer :

If there is nothing more you would like me to answer, please do remember to rate the answer for me. Thank you.