75100385

Ive been renting privately a 2 bedroom flat in Penge, south

Customer Question

I've been renting privately a 2 bedroom flat in Penge, south east London for 2 years now. I am a single mum to 2 years old twins. Our building is made of 4 flats, a studio and 3 others 2 bedroom flats. My landlady lives in one of them with her family.
We all had a new tenancy agreement last December because the rent had increased from £750 to £850 /month. I then sent it to my local council as I am a stay at home mum on benefits at the moment.
This new tenancy agreement (neither the old one) never stipulated anything about cleaning costs or coming and checking each property once a month. My landlord has been having a "clean lady" at her own costs since I have moved in, ive always seen that lady coming and cleaning the little hall we have. 2 days ago, my landlady came to my place and told me it was not fair for her to pay for the clean lady and that we all 4 tenants had to, either clean ourselves the hall once a week, each of us, or being charged £10/week and that she would come and check my place once a month, when I asked her why she reply "just have a look around, check for electricity" HMMMM....I personally find this outrageous! Just so you know, we are all foreigners in this building, I am myself French, dont know nothing about the English law, and thought Id ask advice to professionals because i wouldnt like her to take advantage of me.
My question is : is that legal to do that? She never gave me anything in writing. Its only been verbal.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Does your agreement permit a monthly inspection etc?

Alex Watts :

Does the agreement allow for £10 a week charge?