75100385

We are currently leasing a property. Our lease is up for renewal

We are currently leasing a property. Our lease is up for renewal on July 14. We notified the agent on May 6 that we wanted to renew. We kept following up, but never received a lease. On June 6 my landlord called and said that he would not be renewing our lease, that he was selling our property. He tried to get us to move into an inferior property. He never gave us written notice, until we informed him via email we had received his phone call re: the intention to sell and wanted to know what the terms would be, i.e. when we would be required to move. He again stated that he would not be renewing our lease and that this email served as his notification (now June 9) and that he might extend if we signed a 6 month extension, but would be required to give him a two month notice.

Obviously we do not want to stay here now, but we only needed the original 2 month notice, til August 6 and do not want to extend an additional 2 months. What are our rights? Does he have to give us 2 months notice even though our lease was up for renewal? Do we have to let estate agents and surveyors in if we plan on moving by July 14? Do we have to agree to an open house if we are in the process of moving?

Thank you for your assistance.
***** *****

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Yes what happens is when the fixed period expires it goes into a monthly rolling contract

Alex Watts :

By law he must give you 2 months notice prior to when your rent is due

Alex Watts :

So yes, even though it has expired the fixed term he still needs to give you 2 months notice

Alex Watts :

If you want to move on 14 July you may have to let agents in - you need to check the lease

Alex Watts :

There is normally a clause saying in the event of re-let etc they have a right to come in and take ophotos etc

Alex Watts :

You do not have to agree to an open house UNLESS your agreement states you must

Alex Watts :

All the details about what you can/can't do will be in the leas

Alex Watts :

* lease *

Alex Watts :

Customer:

I apologize for being daft. This is our first UK rental and our lease, like our landlord, is very vague. We won't make that mistake again. Is the 2 month notice then from June 6, or is it actually from June 15, when our rent would be due for the next month. So legally, are we obligated to move by August 6 or August 14? Thank you so much for your help. We have an offer on a new place, but just want to be covered just in case. Jen

Alex Watts : The landlord notice is 2 months from the date when you pay your rent.
Alex Watts : Tenant notice is 1 moth.
Alex Watts : @ month @
Alex Watts : Does that clarify?
Customer:

Yes, thank you so much. I am much relieved now in case we cant get out by July 14. We want to do this in a friendly way, but wanted to be sure of our rights. Great service and appreciate your help! Jen

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience