UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Wondering what the law is on deposits. I made a deposit on

Wondering what the law is on deposits. I made a deposit on a boat "subject to finance". If I am not happy with the terms of the finance I would assume I get my deposit back. Boat company is saying that this is only the case if in their view the offer of finance is unreasonable. Nothing on the document laying this out. Nothing on whether the deposit is refundable or non-refundable
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

If there is an ambiguity in the terms of a contract, it is usually held against the drafter of the contract, so if the contract came from the boat company, it would be interpreted against them, this is the contra proferentem rule in law, see here

http://uk.practicallaw.com/4-383-2653

So, yes you could argue that if you are not happy with the finance, the deposit should be refunded.

If they fail to pay you back the deposit, you may make a court claim for the money, if up to £100K, online at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** more question. Isn't there a ruling that requires the drafter of a contract such as this to state that the deposit may not be refundable (and circumstances) or at least advise the customer at point I of sale?
Not in your case as such, but yes, you could argue that if the deposit was not refundable, this would have been set out clearly and explained to you.