LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I have been asked to attend a meeting under caution at St.

I have been asked to attend a meeting under caution at St. Martins Place, Slough in relation to a Housing Benefit/Council Tax fraudulent claim, it was suppose to be to day, but need a solicitor to attend so it has been suspended until maybe Tues/Wed next week. I am registered disabled but work part time, they will not give me any information as to the allegations. please help.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.

LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

I assume this is an interview with the local authority benefit investigation team. The first thing is that you should definitely take a solicitor at the interview. You will be entitled to help under the legal aid scheme. You can follow this link to find a criminal defence expert in your area http://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/.

LondonlawyerJ :

I am not surprised that they will not give you any information in advance, this is not unusual. If you arrive for the interview with the solicitor one of the first things he will do is find out the nature of the allegation against you, He will then discuss this with you and you will tell him what actually happened. The solicitor will then advise you what the best course of action in the interview is (ie whether to answer questions, put in a written statement, or exercise your right to silence). There is no right for you to know the nature of the allegation before the interview commences but the near universal practice is for the interviewing authority to provide disclosue to your solicitor.

LondonlawyerJ :

You should be aware that you do not have to attend an interview in these circumstances - the local authority do not have the power to arrest or detain you- but if you do not go they may refer to matter to the police.

LondonlawyerJ :

I jope this answer is helpful but if you would like any more help then please let me know ans

LondonlawyerJ :

and I will gladly help further.

Customer:

thanks,

Customer:

thanks, ***** ***** James McErlean