75100385

shorthold tenancy issue

Customer Question

hi my landlord refuses to allow me to move to a rolling contract, after my tenancy expires on thursday. the estate agent is demanding renewal fees which i am happy to pay, i am also happy to pay a reasonable rent increase if required. i have been here for a year and have never been late with, or missed, payments. i dont want to commit to another six months as i will be buying a house before then, but the landlord and estate agent are FORCING me to renew my tenancy for a third six month term. do i have a legal way out of this? thx !

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Have they said why it won't just roll on please?
JACUSTOMER-m5j8gecq- :

No. The landlord insists without reason that a six month agreement is to be signed or notice will be given to vacate.

Alex Watts :

Its bad news I am afraid

Alex Watts :

The Landlord has a choice to allow a rolling monthly or to make you sign a new one

Alex Watts :

If you do not sign a new one he can terminate your tenancy

Alex Watts :

There is nothing in law that states he must allow you a rolling contract

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :