UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My ex Landlord is withholding money from me and has extorted

Customer Question

My ex Landlord is withholding money from me and has extorted further monies.I was under the impression that I paid a deposit, but this is being touted as last months rent in advance, my landlord asked me to leave property early so he could move in new tenants when I informed him I wasn't going to stay another year. I left early on his request and he is refusing to give me my last months rent back. He also coerced me into paying additional fees and will not provide receipts detailing what they are for. Should I get representation in Court?

Mark
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
Hello Mark,

The easiest thing would be to make a court claim for the return of your money online at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

If the claim is for less than £10,000, it will be a small claim and can be dealt by written evidence without a hearing, so you do not need to attend court and you do not need to appoint a lawyer.

You would need to show evidence to back your claim that your ex landlord owes you the money.

May I help further?