12826847

is windows repair responsibility of freeholder? My sash win

Customer Question

the windows are two big sash at the front of the period house on the first floor, opening to the interconnected balcony.

is windows repair responsibility of freeholder? My sash windows are leading to a connected balcony in a house more than 150 years old. The bottom part of the windows are completely rotten through weather conditions. Recently bottom part of the window fell apart and bottom section of the glass broke. As a result i couldn t close the window and it became insecure for my property as windows lead to the connected through the terraced houses balcony. I was told its my responsibility to repair windows, however I am not sure, as windows are part of the building and to my opinion is responsibility of freeholder to keep them in good order.

Please help with your advice. Tatiana

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Who owns the windows, you or the freeholder?