13262538

my wife has requested a planned c-section from the NHS but

Customer Question

my wife has requested a planned c-section from the NHS but she has been denied. CAn they do this?
Why does she want it and why has it been refused?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare, my wife wants a planned c-section as the baby is very large (estimated 4.2 kg 3 weeks ago) and fears the baby will be over 5 kg if he stays full term (28th June). There is history are large babies at over 5 kg at birth in her family She is 38 years of age and this is her first baby. She fears complications to herself and to the new born baby if it is delivered naturally or emergency c-section.

Planned c-section has been refused before 41 weeks because after consultation with the NHS midwife, the midwife does not see a problem with the baby size and mentions we did not request the c-section at the beginning of the pregnancy, so the fear of a natural birth is no longer valid.

We believe we have the right to get a planned c-section as the mother is not comfortable delivering the baby vaginally.

Please can you help us?

Regards,

I am afraid that you do not have the right to insist on it no.
Clearly if you choose to go Private then you may do so; but whilst you remain on the NHS the matter is determined by medical necessity.
You are however entitled to ask for a second opinion - or even to seek the input of a psychiatrist since your wife's mental health is as important as her physical health
I am sorry - I know that this is not the news that you wanted