tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

I got into an argument with my boyfriend last Friday and he

I got into an argument with my boyfriend last Friday and he called the police so I called my mum to come and get me, the police arrived and shortly after my mum arrived I got some things together to go stay at my mums as I was about to leave I ended up slapping my boyfriend across the face in front of the police. I was taken to police station that night and was held until the following afternoon to which I was told I was being charged with common assault by beating him contrary to section 39, I am to go to court next week on Thursday and wanted to know what I would likely get?
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, thank you for your question.

tdlawyer :

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

Have you otherwise a clean record, with no other convictions?

Customer: I have a caution on my record from 2005
tdlawyer :

Okay. I don't think you need to worry about that.

tdlawyer :

I would seriously doubt there is any prospect of anything more than a small fine, if that. You may even be "bound over to keep the peace". I can't see anything of significance happening.

tdlawyer :

The official sentencing guideline is here: http://sentencingcouncil.judiciary.gov.uk/guidelines/guidelines-to-download.htm

tdlawyer :

If you have a look at the provisions of the common assault (which is what this sounds like), it shows that you are likely to receive a small fine. But then the court will need to consider why you slapped him, and such other factors, and it may be that you get even less than that.

tdlawyer :

I don't think you need to worry about a severe punishment.

Customer: What do you mean by bound over to keep the peace?
tdlawyer :

Basically, is where the court tells you to go away and not cause any further difficulties. If you do, then you may be bought back before the court.

Customer: Thank you that helps I have been with him for nearly 7 years and have worked for his company for 8 years even though I am not allowed at the house and I'm staying at my mums I am still doing work from home to help him out which he has asked me to do
tdlawyer :

It must be a pretty tricky and difficult situation for you. This whole being charged side of things will not help, but should be over relatively swiftly, and it should be relatively painless.

tdlawyer :

Is this answers your question this evening, and can you tell me whether you are happy with the service please?

tdlawyer :

Does this answer your question this evening, and can you tell me whether you are happy with the service please?

tdlawyer :

Please do remember to rate the answer for me before leaving.